Sunday 30 July 2017

Galah vs Human Intelligence Test

This is the sight outside our front door these days, wheelbarrows full of wood to keep us warm.  We are very lucky that our property has plenty of available dead trees, so we don't need to buy any.
 And I'm very lucky to have a terrific husband who spends a lot of time gathering and chopping the wood.  Here he is contemplating the vegie patch while having a rest from filling the barrow.
 I've been busy inside.  I've been making joey pouches, mostly for my neighbour, but I am going to keep a few myself, just in case we come across a joey that needs our help.
 This is square number 39 of 42 for my crocheted blanket. 
 I have finished my canvaswork houses.  And I've already stitched some fabric around it in readiness for its new home.... I am turning it into an Ipad cover.
 The chickens and ducks don't mind this weather at all, here they are busy in my garden, turning the soil over for me.  They do a marvellous job.  And lay!  My word, we are getting 4 or 5 eggs every day at present, well done girls.
 And here are the pesky galahs on the top of the chook enclosure, trying to work out how to break in and steal their food.  They are buggers, they rip holes in the nets, I keep adding wire and they keep trying to out-think me.  It's an ongoing battle of wits!
 This is phase 2 galahs, they are waiting for the others on the roof to get fed up, then they will have a try.
 And here is a successful naughty galah, inside the enclosure, who realises that he's been seen by me and is trying to surreptitiously make his exit along the branch towards the open gate.
 Mr Peacock continues to pop in for a visit.  Here he is wandering around the very weedy corner of the vegie patch, he likes to talk to chooks through the fence.
 Here is mum Elsa with a nice bulgy pouch.  What is interesting here is that I don't know who that joey is, but I keep seeing it with Elsa.  Elsa's joey died earlier this year, but she seems to be looking after this one.  It's old enough not to nurse but joeys need the company of other roos.  Our neighbour had to destroy a female roo she found with a broken leg a couple of months ago, so it's possible this is her joey and now these two have got together to look after each other.  Nice :-)
 The amount of flowers this year never ceases to amaze me.  I love love love the acacias with their cheerful, fresh scented yellow puffy flowers.  In the foreground is a couple of Tagasaste or Tree Lucerne with their many white flowers....the bees just love this time of year.
 These are the Acacia I planted five years ago, Acacia fimbriata, there are three adult trees now, about 4 metres high.  I've planted more since, they grow well here.
 Here's a close-up of Tree Lucerne, it's very pretty I think, and you can see by the flowers that it's a legume, which is always good for the soil.
 I love these orange flowers on Grevillea olivacea.  It's a huge, thick shrub now, the wrens love it, I'm pretty sure they are nesting deep inside it.
 This is Westringia Wynabbie Gem, another colourful native.  They are just coming into flower now.
 This is one of the Correa family, the lovely bell flowers are full of nectar that the birds love.
 A colourful Hebe.
I went grovelling around on my knees down near the creek this morning, there is so much fascinating fungi around. 
 Teeny tiny things, clumps of weeny fairy stools in a variety of pretty colours.
 
  Weird things that look like coral
Beautiful rippled things that slowly cover tree stumps
 Whilst down at the creek I had to take a photo of our Magic Faraway Tree,  such a beautiful old tree, we absolutely love it. It's like the grand daddy of the Peppermint forest.
 And the creek keeps on burbling along this time of year, it sounds so tinkly and delightful down here near Helga's bridge.
Now Michelle, this photo is just for you ha ha ha.  Inside that blue ring I drew, is a photo of a tadpole!  There are plenty of them in my shallow dish in the shrubbery, but I managed to get a vague shot of one that wasn't quick enough to dash under cover. 
Right, the footy is on, time to pick up my crochet and watch to see if the Eagles can have a win.  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment