Sunday 19 February 2017

Pocketfuls Of Yum

My word the vegie patch is magic at present, we are blessed with much yummy stuff!  We have sweetcorn coming out of our ears (ha ha) so today I'm going to start freezing some for later in the year.  After a few years of trials, I find the best way to freeze it is to strips the kernels of corn off the cobs and freeze in baggies.  There's nothing I like better than packages of our produce tucked away in the freezer. :-)
 This photo made me laugh, this is what you do when you forget to take a container with you, random veggies stuffied into pockets!  He's looking rather wild and grizzled my dear hubby xx
 I popped over next door, saying hello to the menagerie.  These two Miniature Horse foals, Rosie snoring on the ground, and Barnaby having breakfast, are the ones that were born a few weeks ago, they are growing quickly and so cute.
The reason for my visit was to say hello to the new arrival.  Isn't she gorgeous!  She is the smallest so far, only 15 inches from ground to where her neck meets her back, called the withers.  She was having trouble working out what to do with her tongue, very cute.
We have loads of roos around, they appreciate the bit of green grass we have growing.  I so enjoy them.  We currently have four mums with newly out of the pouch joeys, always a delight.  Nature takes its course though, a few days ago I noticed one was missing, and after a walk around I found her body, a sad discovery.  I suppose this has to happen though otherwise there would be a population explosion.
And we are still being delighted by the Spendid wrens bouncing around in the back garden. 

We used to have a Quenda (Southern Brown Bandicoot) that lived here, we called him Stumpy as most of his tail was missing.  Every evening he used to circumnavigate our house, looking for food.  Our friend Tony would remember Stumpy, we were sitting out the front one evening when Stumpy casually wandered between Tony's feet!  We haven't seen him for about a year, I am presuming he died of old age, as he'd been around for maybe four years.  Anyway, the point of my story is that we toddled into town the other day and decided to have a walk along the Boardwalk at Middleton Beach, which is picturesque and delightful.  There are many black skinks to see, who like to sun themselves on the warm path, but we were also thrilled to see this tiny little Quenda, busily digging, and couldn't have cared less about us!

I've been immersed in crochet, some of it is Secret Squirrel stuff and cannot be mentioned, but here's a photo I like, I'm adding a few more rows to Steve's scrap lap blanket, as it's not really big enough.  And I have an able fluffy supervisor keeping track of things. :-) Are you Perth people amazed that I have a blanket on me in summer!  We have had a very comfortable summer here in Albany, I love not being baked til crispy, it was one of the main reasons we left Perth!
Steve has been busy in the shed.  He is trying to make himself a small coffee table to go beside his big red chair.  He selected some rough pieces of beautiful sheoak - just look at the patterns in the grain, then he's spent ages sanding them down, then ages getting his join just so, and now he's working on oiling the top, sanding, oiling, sanding, oiling, it takes time and patience.  This is the top at present, sitting atop his current coffee table strewn with many many remote controls!  He's even considering making a small box along one end of his new coffee table to house the remotes, good idea methinks.
Well, it's time to start stripping down some corn for the freezer, so bye bye for now! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful little movies, do your Bandicoots bring ticks??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about the bandicoots Pennie, but the kangaroos are covered in them, horrible little blood suckers. I would be very reluctant to sit on the grass where the roos feed!

    ReplyDelete